One of the most significant aspects of an addiction treatment program is family therapy. A family therapy program serves many purposes, but the main reason for family therapy in a substance abuse treatment program is to repair relationships that may have been damaged because of addiction.
At Baltimore Detox Center, our team is committed to helping you not only treat your addiction, but we want to heal any rifts in your relationships with family members. We can repair these relationships through a number of therapy programs, including group therapy, our addiction treatment program, or family therapy.
What Is Family Therapy?
Family therapy is a way for family members to have a voice about the negative effects of addiction. When you are enrolled in an addiction treatment program at Baltimore Detox Center, part of the recovery process addresses the pain that family members have felt as a result of your addiction. This is not limited to blood relatives, but spouses, significant others, or partners as well. The spouses of those in the grip of addiction often feel angry, neglected, and ashamed about the situation.
Family therapy can also help family members to stop enabling the person with an addiction. Enabling refers to a friend or family member that implicitly accepts the substance abuse and allows it to continue with relatively few problems.
Am I an Enabler?
If you don’t have a substance abuse disorder, but you have a loved one who does, take a moment to consider the following:
- Do you ignore your loved one’s negative or potentially dangerous behavior?
- Do you have difficulty expressing emotions?
- Do you prioritize the addict’s needs before your own?
- Do you try to avoid conflicts?
- Do you lie to others to cover your loved one’s behavior?
- Do you blame people or situations other than your loved one?
If you find yourself answering “yes” to one or more of these questions, you may be an enabler. This doesn’t make you a bad person. It just means that you should participate in the family therapy sessions of your loved one to end enabling behavior.
What Are the Benefits of Family Therapy?
There are numerous benefits of a family therapy program. Some of these benefits include:
- It can help families with members who have experienced a crisis or families that have experienced a crisis as a unit come together and address the situation.
- Family therapy works on developing honesty and trust in family members who have historically not trusted one another.
- It gets families to address issues with stress and tension that disrupt the family’s functioning and efficiency.
- Family therapy constructs a supportive family environment in cases where there was little support among family members, your loved ones, and the relationships are characterized by isolation and apathy.
- This therapy builds acceptance and forgiveness.
- Family therapy resolves conflicts that occur between family members that disrupt the family unit and have been ongoing.
Family therapists spend a great deal of time explaining how individual relationships affect the overall family unit and how the overall family unit can affect individual relationships. Further, family therapy is not simply a method of tutoring or instructing individuals on psychological principles.
Repair Your Relationship with Family Members at Baltimore Detox Center
If you are fighting an addiction, you may feel like your family has abandoned you. If you are an enabler to someone in your family with an addiction, you may feel as though nothing will ever change.
The Baltimore Detox Center team wants you to know that it’s never too late to fix broken relationships with family members. Reach out to us today by calling 833.714.1575 or completing our confidential online form to learn more about our family therapy program.