Alcohol is a part of most aspects of American society. From a beer at the ballgame to a champagne toast during a celebration, alcohol seems to always be around. As a result, many people develop an alcohol addiction.
It’s important to keep in mind that addiction can be treated with professional help. If you are worried that you are drinking too much alcohol, the Baltimore Detox Center team wants to guide you through the detoxification process and give you a fresh perspective on life.
Why Is an Alcohol Detox Center Necessary?
The alcohol detox stage is the first step in treating alcoholism. During this time, alcohol is completely flushed from your body. Withdrawal symptoms typically subside within approximately one to two weeks after starting detox; however, this could take longer depending on the severity of your alcohol addiction. From there, you will be able to focus on other aspects of the recovery process, such as different activities, therapies, counseling sessions, and support options.
Alcohol is a depressant that your body begins to rely on over the course of months and years of drinking. Your brain eventually stops producing certain chemicals that it receives from alcohol, becoming dependent on the drug. That’s why when you quit drinking, it takes time for your body to adjust. This is what causes withdrawal symptoms such as:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Irregular heartbeat
An alcohol detox program is a transitional phase of the recovery process. At Baltimore Detox Center, we want your detox experience to be as comfortable and painless as possible. Let our team become part of your team.
What Is the Timeline at an Alcohol Detox Center?
Withdrawal symptoms can begin to surface as early as two hours after your last drink. While the most painful symptoms typically subside within the first week, some mild symptoms can last several weeks to a year.
The timeline at our alcohol detox center generally happens as follows:
- The first 6-12 hours – The initial symptoms of alcohol detox are mild but can quickly begin to worsen as time goes on. Some of the early withdrawal symptoms include headaches, anxiety, shaking, nausea and irritability.
- Day 1 – By the end of the first day in alcohol detox, symptoms may become increasingly severe. Additional symptoms may involve disorientation, hand tremors, and seizures.
- Days 2-7 – For the remainder of your first week in detox, different withdrawal symptoms may come and go. This is also the timeframe where you’re most at risk for life-threatening symptoms such as delirium tremens.
- After the first week – By the time you’ve completed your first week of detox, many of the withdrawal symptoms will begin to taper off. While some symptoms may persist for a few weeks, most of them are minor and can be treated with medication.
What Are Some of the Benefits of an Alcohol Detox Center?
Among the numerous benefits of alcohol addiction treatment at the Baltimore Detox Center are:
- Medical supervision by professionals in case of emergency
- Support and encouragement of the Baltimore Detox Center team
- A modern facility conveniently located in Baltimore, Maryland
- A wide array of therapeutic options after detox
- Renewed physical health
These are only a few of the benefits of ending an alcohol addiction. The first step on the recovery journey is up to you.
Find Out if an Alcohol Detox Center Is Right for You
If an addiction to alcohol has impacted your life, it’s time to make a change. Our Baltimore Detox Center team is available to help you through the detox process and beyond. Learn more about our alcohol detox program by calling 833.714.1575 or completing our secure online form. Contact us online today.