Withdrawing from drugs and alcohol on your own can be extremely difficult and dangerous due to cravings and life-threatening symptoms like heart palpitations and seizures. A medical detox program is a safe and effective way to withdraw from these substances with a lowered risk for complications. Medical detox treatments are available in inpatient and outpatient treatment settings and can be tailored to help you or a loved one safely overcome drug and alcohol dependence.
If you live in Maryland, the medical detox center at Baltimore Detox Center is one of the most effective inpatient treatment methods in the area.
What Are Some Typical Withdrawal Symptoms?
Withdrawal is a period of uncomfortable symptoms that can be physical, emotional, and psychological. They result from stopping or reducing regular drug or alcohol use. How long the symptoms last depends on how heavily the person used the substance in question, as well as how long. It can also depend on the person’s gender and the specific substance in question. Different substances have varying withdrawal symptoms and timelines.
Withdrawal symptoms vary, depending on the substance being abused. However, some of the most common withdrawal symptoms regardless of the substance include:
- Sudden mood swings or outbursts of anger
- Nausea and vomiting
- Depression and anxiety
- Muscle pain and tension
- Anxiety and depression
- Changes in appetite and sleeping patterns
What Is a Medical Detox Center?
A medical inpatient detox center offers medical supervision during the withdrawal process. Certain substances, such as alcohol and opioids, can cause severe symptoms like seizures and high blood pressure during certain stages of withdrawal. The list of dangers associated with detoxing without medical supervision leads many people to consider entering an inpatient detox center.
During addiction, drugs and alcohol interfere with people’s ability to make rational and logical decisions. This often causes people to engage in risky and dangerous behavior that they otherwise would never consider. As a person’s tolerance begins to build, more and more of a particular substance is required. This can lead to financial woe and relationship strife. Addiction can also prevent people from working and supporting their families, increasing depression and mental health problems.
What Are a Few Benefits of a Medical Detox Center?
A medical detox center can be effective for people fighting addiction. Some of the benefits of a medical detox center include:
- Supervision – Our staff of medical professionals will constantly monitor you, so if there is any kind of medical emergency that arises, they can help.
- Adjustments – If the Baltimore Detox Center team feels your medication needs to be adjusted, they can quickly do so. Sometimes, they can customize your treatment by the minute.
- Safety – For anyone with long-term dependency, withdrawal symptoms could be life-threatening. Having supervision while detoxing keeps you safe.
- Less painful – Our team can administer medications that ease withdrawal symptoms, lessening the painful side effects.
- Increases your chances of recovery – Staying in a detox facility and getting completely clean sets a good foundation for the rest of your recovery.
- Releases friends or family from the stress of helping – Your loved ones are not responsible for your recovery, only you are. As a result, our medical detox center allows you to start treatment and relieve your friends and family of the burden of your addiction.
Let Our Medical Detox Center Start Your Road to Recovery
A medical detox center can be the key to begin your recovery process. If you are struggling with an addiction, allow our team to safely and comfortably guide you through the detox process. Reach out to our team today for more information about our medical detox center by calling 833.714.1575 or contact us online and complete our confidential form.